What documents do we need to provide our marriage celebrant?

Before the marriage takes place your marriage celebrant must see the following documents:

Birth certificates: These must be an original Births Deaths and Marriages certified copy, NOT a photocopy  or a JP certified copy.  If you were born overseas and your birth certificate is impossible to obtain, you may provide a foreign passport or, as a last resort, complete a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration.

Photo ID: Driver’s Licence, Passport or Over 18 card

Evidence any prior marriages are terminated: This may be a divorce certificate, death certificate or annulment certificate (Court ordered, not religious).  It may be necessary to provide a ‘document trail’ of your name changes if you have been previously married, i.e. birth certificate, original marriage certificate and death or divorce certificate.

Change of Name Certificate: If you have changed your name via Deed Poll or through Births Deaths and Marriages, you must provide you ‘Change of Name Certificate’.

If any of the above documents are not in English, you must provide a NATI certified translation along with the original document.

Information supplied by Merlin Coughlan, Montville Maleny Marriage Celebrant