Australian celebrants are authorized by the Federal Attorney General’s department who requires us each to set our own fees. You will find ‘hobbiest’ celebrants who subsidise their celebrant’s practice by full time work or other income may charge as little as $300, whilst some professional celebrants charge as much as $1200! Hobby celebrants may only conduct 2 or 3 weddings a year (often fewer), whilst full time professionals are conducting weddings almost every week of the year (except for holidays), so their skills and knowledge are constantly improving. My commitment to your wedding ceremony doesn’t change with the number of guests are having at your wedding.
A simple registry office wedding ceremony will cost you between $341 (weekdays in business hours) to $549 on weekend afternoons. For this you have to go to the registry office in business hours to submit your NOIM, you have little say in the ceremony content, you may not meet your celebrant until a few minutes before the ceremony, you can’t be even 5 minutes late (not that I am advocating arriving late for your wedding), you will not have a rehearsal and you have to go to them, they won’t come to you.
My fees reflect the approximately 15 hours of work involved in creating a bespoke, truly personalised ceremony for you and will rarely exceed $700, unless you wish me to travel outside the Hinterland. My fees include:
- A bespoke wedding ceremony written just for you
- Access to up-to-date resource materials and guides
- Ensuring the legalities of your marriage are dealt with
- Preparation of your Marriage Certificates
- Attending a rehearsal
- Presentation of your ceremony in a warm, professional manner
- The use of a quality PA system to ensure all guests hear the ceremony
- Registering your marriage, and arranging for a copy of your Official Marriage Certificate to be sent to you from BDM after your marriage is registered.
Your celebrant’s fees will probably be the least expensive cost of your wedding. Please ask yourselves these questions:
- Is it worth saving a little money by using someone who is not a professional to prepare and present our wedding ceremony?
- Do we want a celebrant who has the experience, knowledge and time to ensure our special day begins just as we want it, or are we happy to take a chance?
Contact me, telling me your planned wedding date and your venue and I will give you a firm, all inclusive quote.
Information supplied by Merlin Coughlan, Montville Maleny Wedding Celebrant